If you are planning a life together with your partner, or have just gotten married, then you know that the initial phase of equipping and decorating your home or apartment is not always so simple. If you think you have been well equipped, you are mistaken. It often happens that when we start preparing some food only then we realize that we have forgotten to buy something. Excellent organization and eye for details are the keys to any success. When it comes to equipping the kitchen itself, you should know that your shopping list will be very long. The kitchen is usually the room where we have the most things, from tools over glasses, to decorative items.
Let’s start with the list:
- You will need at least two sets of plates. Both sets should contain shallow plates, deep plates, salad bowls or bowls for the soup. We recommend that one such set be the one you will use every day and the other a little more expensive you can use when you have guests. Take care of the materials they are made of, especially if you are used to washing all the dishes in the dishwasher. Let each set contain a minimum of 18 plates.
- Utensils, more precisely cutlery is the basis of your shopping list. For two sets of plates, you will need 12 forks, 12 small knives and 12 teaspoons for sure.
- The next item on the list is glasses. If you do not have any set of glasses, then the number you need to buy will be significant. You will need a minimum of two sets of glasses for everyday use, then a minimum one set of wine glasses, a minimum one set for champagne, then a set of small glasses for spirits, and there are also glasses for cognac, whiskey and the like.
- After the glasses, the next item is the cups. It would be a good idea to buy two sets of mugs that are designed exclusively for drinking coffee—small cups in one set and large ones in the other. Then you can buy a few different mugs, different sizes and patterns, and let them be multi-purpose, for tea, hot cocoa, cooked wine, and so on.
- You will need plastic or silicone boxes to use to store food in the fridge or freezer. The boxes should be in different sizes, from very small to larger ones.
- You will need a casserole and cooker to cook the dishes. In this case, we recommend at least two sets of casseroles that will be of some quality material and different sizes. In addition to these two sets, buy at least two casseroles made of cast iron material. The food prepared in a dish like this is much tastier.
- After the casserole, pans are also very important, from ones where you can make small pancakes, to the medium-sized ones to prepare omelettes, to the largest ones where you will cook and fry the vegetables and meat.
- The knife set is of high importance. If you have the ability, don’t buy the cheapest ones because buying more expensive and better knives are always a good investment. Keeping them clean, not cleaning them in a dishwasher, and leaving them in a wet sink, sharpening them from time to time, you will have nothing to worry about, and it will serve you for years. One set of knives should include a special bread-cutting knife, one fish-cutting knife, one multipurpose knife, one small sharp knife, one chef knife, one parking knife, kitchen shears and a minimum of two cutting boards for meat and vegetables. Our recommendation is for these boards to be wooden and of different sizes. Buy a special bag, magnet or knife disposal. Sharpening stone for kitchen shears should be in your kitchen. You will sometimes wonder if you should use shears or a knife when cutting meat or vegetables, in which case keep your shears sharpened at all times.
- Next various things that should be on the list and which are not so insignificant are: Kettles, Beetles, Vegetable peeler, Garlic press, Grater, Kitchen scales, Measuring south, Mixing bowl, Colander/paste strainer, Sieve, render, Rolling pin, Can opener, Blender, Spatula, Tongs, Stirring spoon, Slotted spoon, Masher, Balloon whiskey, Oven gloves, Potholders, Food/meat thermometer, Ladle, Pasta fork, Pizza cutter, Corkscrew, Bottle opener (you should buy a few), etc.
- You need to choose the jars that will place the spices you use while cooking. These jars are generally a little smaller, and there is a wide range on the market, and it is up to you to choose the ones you like best. Keep in mind that you will need as many jars as the spices you use. In addition to jars, you should buy something where you can store salt, pepper, flour, cocoa, oatmeal, and the like.
- Miscellaneous Equipment such as Plastic wrap/clingfilm, Kitchen foil, Baking parchment, Tea towels, a Kitchen tool organizer is also more than essential.
- When it comes to serving food, in addition to all of the above, you will also need a few water pitchers, trays to carry mugs of coffee and tea, spoons for sugar, coffee, tea, salad, small bowls for serving food, rings for napkins, butter knife, a bowl of several sizes, pie server, 8-10 ramekins, salad servers and the like.
- And at the very end, all we forgot to mention are measuring cups, measuring spoons, mortar and pestle, salt cellar, pepper grinder, masher, melon baller, funnel, oil and vinegar containers, whiskey, large measuring cups, zester, mandolin, salad spinner, ice cream scoop, small and large strainer, rolling pin, jigger, wine stopper, muddler, stirrer, shaker, pie pan, baking pans, sauce and bread pan, muffin tins, roasting pan, cooling rack, label maker.
If you like, we can remind you what you are going to need from the apparatus, such as a microwave, food processor, stand mixer, pressure cooker, crock pot, water heater, immersion blender, hand chopper, hand mixer, high-speed blender, toaster, coffee maker.
We hope that we have made it easier for you with our shopping list and that you will not forget to buy anything. Always opt for quality products if possible.